Another year, another iPhone announcement.
"If you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should do something else wonderful, not dwell on it too long. Just figure out what's next." That's the Steve Jobs quote that greeted visitors to today's announcement event of Apple.
As expected, Apple has announced their latest and greatest two new iPhone the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 5C, for the first time splitting its flagship product between a premium product and a more affordable version.
iPhone 5S builds on the already solid iPhone 5, an improved camera and a fingerprint security scanner that allows users to store information securely, while the cheaper iPhone 5C offers a low-cost alternative use a plastic body and many of the internals of the existing iPhone 5.
- The iPhone 5C will be available in green, white, blue, pink, and yellow.
- "It's made with all the incredible technology of the iPhone 5," says Phil Schiller. "The entire back and sides are made from a single part," he adds.
- It will have a 4-inch Retina display, integrated touch layer.
- Processor: A6 processor, same as the iPhone 5.
- Battery: The battery is slightly larger than it was on the iPhone 5. It has the same 8-megapixel rear camera. New FaceTime HD camera on the front, larger pixels, and backside illumination.
- Cost: $99 for 16GB, $199 for 32GB on a two-year contract.
- The iPhone 5S will be available in silver, Gold, and a "new space gray."
- It will have a 64-bit chip, the first ever on a smartphone.
- The iPhone 5S has a new part – the motion co-processor called the M7 that works alongside the A7. It measures the accelerometer, compass, and gyroscope. It can tell apps when you're walking, stationary, driving.
- New iSight camera: The 5S will have a new, five-element Apple-designed lens with an F2.2 aperture. The sensor has a 15 percent larger active area.
- The new camera has dual-LED flash — cool and white & warm and amber.
- New SloMo mode captures HD video at 720p at 120FPS.
- Battery: 3G talk time is 10 hours. Up to 250 hours of standby
- Touch ID: New security feature introduced. It uses a key which you have everywhere you go – your fingerprint. So you won't need to remember passwords or codes anymore. The sensor is 170 microns thin, senses 500 ppi and scans sub-epidermal layers of your skin to detect it's you.
- It has been built right into the home button which is made of sapphire to avoid scratches.
- Interestingly, fingerprints are encrypted and are not made available to apps. They cannot be shared on iCloud either.
- Cost: 16GB for $199, 32GB is $299, 64GB is $399 on two-year contract.
iPhone4S will be available for free on contracts in the US.
Apple iPhone5S & iPhone5C pre-orders to begin from Sep 13th, will be available in stores starting Sep 20th in the US.